Susann Herrmann, Dipl. Psych. (MA)
“Living with Ease – Being in alignment with the way things are.”
Susann’s teaching style arises from her 30 years of meditation practice, her academic understanding as a psychologist, with a Masters in Clinical and Occupational Psychology, combined with her teaching and training in secular mindfulness.
Susann’s approach is built upon an accessible and inclusive form of meditation. She believes that when we are practicing meditation and mindfulness – learning to sit with what is arising – this is deeply fundamental to thriving as a human being.
Susann has extensive experience teaching mindfulness gained while she was the Executive Director of London Meditation, the well-respected centre in Camden, London, UK, which she coordinated for almost fifteen years. She trained with Jon Kabat-Zinn and his team at the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and attended MBCT Teacher Training with Mark Williams (Founding Director, Oxford Mindfulness Centre).
During Susann’s time at London Meditation, she delivered more than fifty, eight-week mindfulness programmes (Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction and Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy) to over 1000 participants and shared mindfulness practice in a variety of one-day courses, workshops and retreats to well over 1500 participants.
The Centre for Mindful Living is a member of the British Association of Mindfulness-Based Approaches (BAMBA) – formerly the UK Network for Mindfulness-based Teacher Training Organisations, as was London Meditation for more than 10 years.
Susann is a personal student of Melissa Myozen Blacker, Roshi, and a member of the Boundless Way Zen Temple in Worcester, Massachusetts.
In my experience, I have not come across many people that embody strength and softness, a playful and humorous tendency combined with a toughness. It’s a powerful combination. Both a teacher and student.
Without Susann’s dance between personality traits and roles, this process, the development of this week, my ability to let go and immerse myself in the teachings and the exercises, would not have been at all possible.
Susann embodies everything she teaches! I love her clarity, examples and her very clear instructions for things that are sometimes difficult to understand. It is easy to follow her instructions. Her sense of humour is a great gift to the process.
Susann is intuitive and coherent with total sensitivity. She reflects and guides through each session with an intuitive understanding of people.
As I already know Susann for some time now, I fully resonate with her ‘flavour’ of teaching.
I would sincerely like to attend one of your courses again in the future, I am not sure what it was about you or your style but it made a deep impression.
A pathway of practice – that is open to everyone –
is what Susann continues to share with others through the IC.CML.
Professional Qualifications and Experience
Susann trained as a Clinical and Occupational Psychologist (German Diploma Degree “Dipl.-Psychologin” – MA equivalent), as well as a supervisor (Certificate “Methodology and Practice of Group Dynamics”).
Susann also draws on her
- 30 years of meditation experience
- 28 years of experience working with people in groups
- 23 years of working internationally (Human Communication)
- 17 years of working as a Clinical and Occupational Psychologist
- 17 years driving the concept of MbM-Management by Meditation™
- 17 years as sole proprietor of Human Communication Ltd
- 14 years of developing London Meditation
She continues to deepen her meditation practice
by attending various retreats, training, and groups such as:
- Mindfulness Training Retreats with Jon Kabat-Zinn
(MBSR in Mind-Body-Medicine, Mindfulness in medicine and psychology)
- Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) Training Retreats with Mark Williams and John Teasdale
- Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Training Retreats:
Graduated from the Teacher Development Intensive in MBSR and the Intensive Residential MBSR Practicum at the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School (the home of Jon Kabat-Zinn) led by Melissa Blacker and Florence Meleo-Meyer
- Mindfulness Training Retreats with Saki Santorelli, Bob Stahl, Melissa Blacker, Christina Feldman, Sharon Salzberg and John Peacock
- Self-Compassion Core Skills Training with Kristin Neff, Christopher Germer and Steven Hickman
- Insight Dialogue Retreats with Gregory Kramer
- CBT Trainings with the Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre
- ZEN Meditation Retreats with Martine and Stephen Batchelor
- Enlightenment Intensive groups at the Dan-Casriel-Institut, Germany
- Awareness Intensive groups at the OSHO Multiversity, Pune, India
- Gurdjieff-Movements Retreats with Jivan Sunder
- Intensive Satsangs with Dolano, India
- OSHO Active Meditations at the OSHO Multiversity, Pune, India
- AUM Meditation/Social Meditations at the Humaniversity, Netherlands